Saturday, January 13, 2007

Discussing with a friend

My friend is a fan of MTV’s The Real World Series and religiously watches the current season as the 7 strangers live together in Denver. She relates her daily life to the drama that occurs on the show the way that she is with her friends, roommates, and her boys. On the current season, she is most like Coli. I guess you could say that she sees her self as the typical sorority girl. She likes to party and always has some sort of story to tell about her dramatic life. Like Coli, she is the current president of her sorority. When we were discussing how she relates her life to Coli’s she talked about her like they were good friends. When I pointed that out to her, another issue about pop culture came up in conversation: everyone talks about celebrities, television characters, and movie characters as if they know them and are in their circle of friends. And it is so true. We were actually talking about the Cameron and Justin breakup and how devastated we were that they had because they seemed like a great couple. Once we got back on The Real World subject, she mentioned that she has watched every Real World season since she was 12. Apparently The Real World did have some sort of influence on her teenage years once she thought about it. She learned a lot about sexual relationships, gay relationships, and what the bar scene was all about. Even though she says that she has learned from the show, she feels as though she has been cheated because the characters in the show are hand picked and fit some form of a stereotype. She even mentioned that in the current Denver season, before Davis came out and said that he was gay, Brooke said that she was disappointed that there was no gay person in the house. In a sense, she had actually stereotyped herself and the rest of her cast mates in the house. My friend did mention, however that this particular season is not nearly as popular as many of the previous ones. She thinks this is because there are so many other reality television shows that people can watch now, that the repetition of drama in a house of 7 strangers from season to season has become old. She also thinks that because the job that the Denver cast mates have to do is not nearly as exciting as some of the jobs in the past have been, such as the party promoters in the Los Vegas season. The Real World for her used to be her life, and it was all that her and her friends would talk about in high school. Now it just seems to be a habit or just something that is apart of her usual schedule.

1 comment:

Ali Levendusky said...

Hey Brit, I really relate with your friend in how she has watched The Real World growing up and has learned a lot about relationships through watching the show. I too discussed the events and drama that happened in the Real World episode in school the next day with my group of friends. I thought that the point you and your friend made about how you feel as though you are in the celebrities circle is so true. To me I almost feel lost if I am not up to date with everything that the celebs are doing and their lastest gossip. It is what my friends and I talk about now that we are in college, whereas like your friend, I too have lost interest in talking about the Real World and have moved on. But I have watched this seasons Real World and I like Coli the best. She seems like the most down to earth person, a little crazy, but definatly seems to be a cool girl. That point that you made when you quoted Brooke and how she was dissapointed that there wasnt a gay person on the show (before Davis came out) really stuck out to me as an interesting comment, and im glad that you commented on that. It was very interesting to read the discussion that you and your friend had and I thought that you two made some great points. Great Job. PS- I too and super upset about Cameron and Justins break up!-lol.